Life is full of uncertainties – don’t let your daily routine be one of them. Not only will a daily routine help the individual you care for, but it will also allow you to feel more in control of your day and less stressed. A planned day will enable you to spend more time doing what you love and less worrying about what to do.
Typically those you are caring for need more help doing the tasks they once did on their own, so focusing on what they can control allows them to feel empowered.
Routine is crucial for everyone, no matter what stage you are in your life. Kids, adults, AND seniors benefit tremendously from an established daily routine. It can lower anxiety and stress, provide better sleep, and allow for more quality time with family and friends. You can incorporate your hobbies into your day, so you always have time to do the things you love, no matter how busy life gets. Self-care is crucial.
At this point, I hope you’re thinking, “I need to establish a daily routine, or how can I make my routine work for the both of us.”
We’re here to help. Get out a pen and paper and write it all down. This can be a good activity for you to do together.
If you don’t have a specific routine, we suggest starting small. Creating tiny habits can build more effective, impactful practices. We recommend starting with your morning. Having a morning routine allows you to start the day on the right foot!
Here are a few things to think about when sitting down to make your plan:
- How is your day currently structured?
- What can you implement to make your day better?
- What time of day do you and your loved one function best?
- What are your loved one’s likes, dislikes, strengths, and abilities?
- What are YOUR likes, dislikes, strengths, and abilities?
- Do you or your loved one typically take rests at a specific time each day? Eat at a particular time each day?
Don’t be concerned about filling your entire day with activities. You should balance your day with rest and activity. If you try to fit too much into one day, you will end up throwing off your routine because you will be too stressed trying to get it all done.
The more you practice the plan, the more it will become your second nature. Routines give you and your loved one a sense of control and accomplishment.
Here is a sample of what your daily routine might look like.
- Wake up, brush teeth, wash, get dressed
- Prepare and eat breakfast
- Drink your coffee or tea and read the newspaper or your favorite book
- Take a walk or engage in stretching exercises
- Choose a chore you can each do
- Prepare and eat a healthy lunch, clean up
- Work on a puzzle, a word search, or an art project
- Run an errand
- Take a brief nap or spend time reading
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Have a conversation with each other
- Enjoy a hobby you love to do outside (Separately or together)
- Prepare and eat dinner, clean up
- Enjoy coffee and a light dessert together, and discuss your plans for the next day
- Watch a movie or your favorite television show
- Have a bath or wash up for bed
- Read a book
- Go to sleep
Establishing a routine can benefit you and your family both physically and mentally. Like any other habit or routine, making it suitable for you will take time. It’s merely a foundation for structure and predictability. There will be good days and bad, but it’s all about being flexible and having grace when something doesn’t work. The more you practice your routine, the more habit it will become.
You will have lower stress levels, better sleep, and more quality time with the ones you love. Make sure you build time for yourself each day to do the things necessary. Find a hobby you each like to do (together or separately) and build it into your routine.
Caregiving for your loved one is heroic work, but even heroes need a rest sometimes. Let our team help you and prevent you from getting burnt out.
For Papa’s Sake Home Care provides customized home care services and assistance with daily activities to accommodate the unique needs of our clients. While some may just need companionship, others may require more involved personal care.
Our team of experts are dedicated to the health and happiness of every client and will personalize a care plan so you can worry less and enjoy more of what matters most. Check out our services to see if they’re right for you!